Prof.Dr. Hussein I. El-Atfy
• Former Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation of Egypt.
• Honorary Vice-President of the International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID).
• Honorary President of the Egyptian National Committee for Irrigation and Drainage (ENCID) Steering Committee & Former Secretary – General of ENCID
• Member of Egyptian Engineers Syndicate (EES).
• On the National Scale, Dr. Hussein El-Atfy, in view of his 40-year professional experience
in the field of water resources management, has progressed in the posts of the National
Water Research Center (NWRC) and its research institutes till appointed NWRC Secretary
General, then progressing in the posts of the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation
(MWRI) till appointed the Head of the Irrigation Department and the first undersecretary
then the Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation. Where he contributed to the
development of the National water management policies, strategies and action plans (1998-
2017) and (2017-2050) as well as the research studies, planning and implementation of the
national water, irrigation and drainage mega projects towards improvement of water
resources management in Egypt.
• On the Arab, Regional and International Scales, Dr. Hussein El-Atfy is presently Secretary-General of the Arab Water Council, and has numerous contributions in the water
sector on the national, regional and international scales. In collaboration with the League of
Arab States, he assisted in formulating the 2010-2030 Strategy for Arab Water Security. He
also has distinguished cooperative relations with numerous of development partners
including Arab, regional and international organizations and institutions.
• Dr. El-Atfy is lecturer and consultant for different research institutes, universities and
international organizations, author of several papers and books, and also scientific editor of
several local and international journals on water. Throughout his professional life, Dr. El-Atfy
was awarded a number of Recognition Awards and prizes from national and international
organizations for his distinguished contributions in the water sector. He is Winner of the
ICID Watsave Award on “Innovative Water Management” in 1999 for outstanding
contribution to water conservation and water saving in agriculture.