Prof. Mahmoud Abu-Zeid:
• Born in Abu Homs in Beheira governorate on 26 July 1935.
• Bachelor of Civil Engineering Cairo University, July 1957.
• Master of Irrigation, University of California, USA, January 1959.
• Ph.D. in Groundwater, University of California, USA, September 1962.
• Fellow of the Institute of Economic Studies, World Bank for Reconstruction and Development since 1972 (EDI).
• Membership and Chairmanship of number of regional and international committees in the fields of Irrigation, Drainage and Water Resources.
• Representing Egypt in many international, regional and local conferences in the fields of irrigation, drainage and water resources.
• Author and Co-Author for more than 157 published papers and 15 books in all fields of irrigation, drainage and water resources.
The most important positions: -
• Demonstrator, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
• Researcher in the General Administration of Groundwater Research - Ministry of Irrigation (1963 -1966).
• Senior Researcher in the General Directorate of Planning - Ministry of Irrigation (1966 - 1969).
• Technical Office Director – of the chairman of the Egyptian General Authority for drainage projects (1969 – 1973).
• Technical Office Director of the Minister of Irrigation (1973 – 1975).
• Director of the Water Distribution Research Institute and director of the water use rationalization project (1975 – 1979).
• Chairman of the National Water Research Center in the Ministry of Public Works and Water Resources. (1979 – 1997).
• Visiting professor at Bari Institute, Italy, in irrigation and drainage since 1981.• Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation (1997 – 2009).
• Currently he is the Chairman of the Arab Water Council.